How Can I Get a Job in Criminal Justice With Entry Level Separation on My Record?

104 62
    • 1). Complete a criminal justice training program. You must complete an accredited criminal justice training course or program to increase your employability. With the widespread availability of criminal justice degree and certificate programs you may find a wealth of opportunity to train in a variety of formats. You may wish to complete training offered in a traditional classroom setting or pursue your degree or certification online through a college level distance learning program. If the characterization of your military discharge has allowed you to use the Chapter 30 G.I. Bill benefit, you may take advantage of the military or veteran program offered by many schools. Your state may also offer education and training benefits, such as tuition reduction or free veteran training assistance.

    • 2). Upgrade your military discharge. You may wish to upgrade your military discharge to honorable if the circumstances surrounding your discharge might be considered inequitable or improper by the standards of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. To initiate this request you may wish to seek out a lawyer with experience in military discharge issues. Your request must be heard by your service's discharge review board. You can forward a formal request with certified supporting documents to the review board or appear before the board to request an upgrade in person.

    • 3). Seek long-term employment in a related field. The nature of an entry level separation may force potential employers to consider you a longevity risk. This may be especially true for employers and organizations that fund employee training, provide lodging, or employ a number of cost-heavy benefits for hires projected for long term. Seek related non criminal justice employment for a period of at least one year. For example, if your focus will be on the law enforcement aspect of criminal justice, then seek a position with physical security, loss prevention, or investigative organization to establish your reliability in terms of longevity. You might wish to develop a resume with a strong emphasis on the length of time you have spent in a full-time work position.

    • 4). Seek career counseling from a veterans job service organization. You may wish to take advantage of the myriad job-related counseling and placement organizations that cater to veterans on both the federal and local level. Many state and county governments provide job-placement for U.S. military veterans who meet certain criteria. In addition, the federal government provides veterans counseling and employment assistance in all 50 states. If you have a VA-rated medical condition, you may also be eligible for employment assistance following military service. Veterans organizations can provide job leads, employment contacts, training, and networking opportunities to assist in your job search.

    • 5). Return to the military to complete a full-term service obligation. Though your previous discharge may initially hamper your reenlistment, an upgrade in discharge or a change in your reenlistment code may allow for another attempt at military service. If you initially signed as an active duty service member you may seek a position as a member of the Guard or Reserves or change your branch of service.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

"Business & Finance" MOST POPULAR

"Business & Finance" Lastest Articles